Requests may be placed on available and checked-out books from most NEOS libraries, including the University of Alberta Library. Periodicals may be requested if held by a University of Alberta Library.
Available University of Alberta material will be ready for pick-up within one-to-two working days (weekends and holidays excluded). Available material from other NEOS libraries will be ready for pick-up within four-to-five working days.
Please note that placing a request does not guarantee that the book will be held for you if another patron checks it out from the stacks in the meantime.
To Request Books:
Search the NEOS Libraries' Catalogue for the book you want.
* Click on Details
* Click on the Place Hold button for this item
* Enter your Library Card Bardcode Number and your PIN number
* Choose a pickup location from the list of NEOS libraries
* Click on Place Hold. A confirmation message will display to indicate your request has been successfully placed.
* When the book is available for pickup, an email notice will be sent to you.
Ask for assistance at a service desk if:
* you wish to request a single volume from a multi-volume set
* you need a reserve room item
* the item you requested does not arrive in a timely manner
* you have any other problems placing a request
Check the status of your holds in My Account. You will need your PIN (Personal Identification Number). If you do not know your PIN, ask for assistance at a service desk or use the online What is My PIN? service.
Remember to pick up your item at the pickup location you designated. Items are held at the pickup location for five days only.
How it works:
Requests placed throughout the day are saved in our system. At night, a report is run that provides each NEOS library with a list of items that have been requested. In the morning, each library prints off their report and retrieves the items. Once retrieved, each item is run through the system and is made available on the hold shelf or sent to the selected pick-up location.
When an item is at the selected pick-up location and run through the system, it saves this information. Reports are run at 12:30 and 22:00 that send out emails notifying users that holds are available for pick up. Information in My Account is updated instantly; however, it may take a half hour to an hour before the item is shelved on the holds shelves.