University of Alberta Student Library Advisory Committee - Terms of Reference
September 11, 2014 [Updated on July 18, 2016]
Purpose and Goals:
The overall goal of the University of Alberta Student Library Advisory Committee is to enhance library services to better meet evolving student needs and improve students’ experience of the library. It meets to ensure effective communication and engagement between students and the University of Alberta Libraries. The Committee serves as a think tank, providing the Library with feedback and input on specific issues, including Library services, communication channels, and Library policies and programs. Library staff seek to engage with students to identify student issues, interests, opinions, and suggestions. Students serve as a link between their campus communities and the Library.
The Committee is open to all currently-enrolled students from across all three campuses. Student members will include:
- One appointed student representative from the Students’ Union (SU): Vice-President Academic
- One appointed student representative from the Graduate Students’ Association (GSA): GSA Councillor at Large
- Up to 10 student Members-at-Large representing a broad cross-section of Faculties, Campuses, and years of study, undergraduate and graduate level (preferably one grad rep from each of the Tri-Council areas), including at least one rep from Augustana and/or CSJ.
Librarian members will include:
- 2 librarians who will co-chair the Committee
- 2 Associate University Librarians for Public Service (ex-officio)
- Members of library staff as agenda warrants
- Commit to a membership term from September to April. Members-at-Large may serve for a maximum of two terms.
- Commit to minimum of two meetings per year. Lunch/dinner is provided for you in person. Meetings may also be attended virtually by reps from Campus St.-Jean and Augustana.
- Actively participate in discussions and projects and have your ideas and concerns heard. Look for opportunities to improve the University of Alberta Libraries and communicate the needs of students to Library administration.
- Share new knowledge about library services with your campus communities.
- Participate in and/or help to recruit students for any focus groups or use studies that may arise.
- Student governance reps bring questions, suggestions, concerns from SU / GSA, and report back to SU / GSA.
Meetings: 1 per term, for a total of 2 per academic year (lunch/dinner is provided for those who attend in person). Up to 2 additional meetings may be called if required. Meetings may also be attended in-person or virtually by reps from Campus St.-Jean and Augustana. Meetings will last approximately two hours.
- Co-Chairs: Two UAL Librarians. Overlapping 2 year terms.
- Agendas: One Co-Chair calls for agenda items from all members
- Notes: notes will be taken at every meeting by one of the Co-Chairs. All meeting notes will be publicly available.
- Librarian co-chairs will report to Library’s Strategic Leadership Team and will provide updates to other Library Committees as appropriate.