Library Reopening Plan
We are excited to start opening library locations on August 16th - we look forward to welcoming you back! Library stacks and onsite services will be available.
Stay Tuned - We will continue to update this page with detailed reopening plans.
Please go to each library location page to see upcoming hours
August 16th to September 6th
Monday to Friday 8:00am to 6:00pm
Closed Weekends and Labour Day
August 16th to 27th
Monday to Friday 8:30am to 12:00pm
August 30th to September 3rd
Monday to Friday 8:30am to 4:00pm
Closed Weekends and Labour Day
Bruce Peel Special Collections
Limited access by Appointment beginning August 16th.
Closed until September 1st - more details coming soon.
August 16th to 20th
Monday to Friday 8:30am to 1:00pm
August 23th to 27th
Monday to Friday 8:30am to 5pm
Starting August 30th for fall term:
Monday to Thursday 8:30am to 7:00pm
Friday 8:30am to 4:00pm
Saturday and Sunday 1:00pm to 5:00pm
Closed Labour Day (September 6th)
August 16th to September 6th
Monday to Friday 8:00am to 6:00pm
Saturday and Sunday 11:00am to 6:00pm
Closed Labour Day (September 6th)
The Curbside Pickup Service at Rutherford and Augustana will end on August 13th. Starting August 16th, you will be able to pick up your holds from within the Library.
Staff and students are no longer required to book a study space in Cameron Library. Most spaces are first-come, first-serve. Study rooms are still be available for booking.
Course Materials (formerly Reserves) will be accessible again in print with short loan periods either in a Course Materials Room or at a Service Desk in our libraries. We highly recommend creating a Reading List to alert our staff to the items that you need available for your students. It may take some time to purchase and receive items, so please create your list well in advance of the start of classes.
Library staff can help you identify library materials, or alternative sources of course material, that are both online and no-cost or low-cost to students. If assigning a required textbook for your students, textbook adoption requests should be submitted to the UAlberta Bookstore.
The HathiTrust Emergency Temporary Access Service, which has provided access to our print collections in an electronic format as an extraordinary measure, will end on August 15th. After this date, you will be able to place holds again on those print items or visit the library and check them out from our shelves.
As we readjust to working together again, face masks and maintaining respectful social distance are recommended.
Email we will respond within 2 business days or less.
We work with you to: find information, use library resources, cite sources, troubleshoot access issues, use common apps for academic purposes.
We connect you with: Librarians with subject & scholarly communications expertise, who provide in-depth reference, classroom instruction, etc.
We refer you to: campus services; other libraries & information services.
Cameron Library is now open for seat booking.
External book drops are available 24/7 at Rutherford and Augustana Libraries.
Rules and Information:
- Booking Required - Reserve your seat online
- Student/Staff ONEcard required for access.
- Practice physical distancing. Keep at least 2 metres (6 feet) between you and others.
- Face masks must be worn at all times except if you are seated in an individual study room.
- Food is not allowed. Beverages in closed containers are permitted.
- Cleaning will take place throughout the day. We recommend that you bring cleaning supplies for immediate cleaning of computers and surfaces.
- See University of Alberta Campus Safety Checklist
All other library locations are currently closed.
- Online collections are available from the library website.
- Current UA Students and staff can access library resources from off-campus.
Print Collections / Physical Collections
Curbside pickup hours are Monday to Friday 11am - 5pm closed weekends and holidays.
- Returns - While the libraries and curbside services are closed, our external book drop locations at Rutherford and Augustana libraries remain available 24/7. Please allow for more time to see dropped off items come off your library account.
- Holds - Our items can still be placed on hold, but fulfilment of hold requests will be delayed until curbside service resumes.
Course Materials (formerly reserves)
- Lending print textbooks for short term loans is not possible due to health and safety concerns.
- Many textbook publishers do not sell ebook versions of textbooks to libraries. Where possible, we have added ebook versions of textbooks to the Library collection.
- If we do not currently own an ebook version of a required textbook, we can investigate purchasing an ebook version for our collection. Recommend a Purchase.
Special Collections & Archives
- Bruce Peel Special Collections: Click here for up-to-date information on BPSC services.
- University of Alberta Archives: Click here for up-to-date information on the Archives services.
- June 14Cameron Library is now open with 30% capacity for individual study. Advance bookings required. All other library locations remain closed.
- June 8We plan to reopen Cameron Library with 30% capacity for individual study on Monday, June 14th. UAlberta OneCard access and advance bookings required. All other library locations remain closed.
- May 27Curbside pickup will resume June 1st. Curbside hours will be M-F 11am - 4:30pm closed weekends and holidays.
- May 10 While the libraries and curbside services are closed, our external book drop locations at Rutherford and Augustana libraries remain available 24/7. Please allow for more time to see dropped off items come off your library account.
Our items can still be placed on hold, but fulfilment of hold requests will be delayed until curbside service resumes.
- May 6 Curbside Pickup Service is closed until new restrictions are lifted.
- May 5 Curbside Service is closed Wednesday, May 5th and Thursday, May 6th.
- May 1 Hours for Curbside Pickup at the Rutherford Library have changed for Spring Semester to Monday-Friday 11-4:30. See the curbside pickup page for more information.
- April 10 In response to new safety directives from the Alberta Government, Cameron Library and the Seat Booking Service will be closed beginning April 11th, 2021 until further notice. If you have a booking you will receive a cancellation notice.
- March 29 Cameron Library is now open with 15% capacity for individual study. UAlberta OneCard access and advance bookings required. Entry only available via the Cameron southwest exterior doors; then swipe/tap with valid ONEcard at the internal door. Note: There is no access to Cameron from CAB. All other library locations remain closed.
- March 3We plan to reopen Cameron Library with 15% capacity for individual study on Monday, March 29th. UAlberta OneCard access and advance bookings required. All other library locations remain closed.
- January 22Curbside Pickup will reopen on Wednesday, January 27.
- January 22 Cameron Library remains closed. Computer labs are available in Education and ECHA.
- January 12Due to varying restrictions at Libraries in the NEOS system, holds may only be placed on materials from your home Library. UA holds will not be filled until the current restrictions are lifted. All due dates have been updated. No books are due before January 31. Please check back for updates or ask for help if you have questions.
- January 8 Onsite library services (e.g. Curbside Pickup and Cameron Seat Booking) remain closed to reduce the spread of COVID-19 in accordance with current provincial health restrictions and University guidelines.
- January 7UA Library book drops (Rutherford and Augustana) are currently closed. No returns are possible. If your books are due and you are unable to renew them online, please ask us for help.
- December 10 Curbside Pickup will be closed beginning December 12 with plans to reopen January 13, pending provincial guidelines. All return bookdrops will be closed as of December 12th at 5pm. Cameron Library Study Space remains open as a critical service during exams - seats need to be booked in advance.
- December 9 Due to public health restrictions announced on December 8, occupancy in Cameron Library has been reduced from 152 seats to 46 seats (15% occupancy).
- December 9For Fall exams Dec 10-22: Modified hours for Cameron Library are Monday-Friday 8:30am to 6:00pm and Saturday 8:30am to 6:00pm
- December 8 The Rutherford book drop will be closed December 23 at 7pm until January 3 - the book drop is available 24/7 before and after this closure.
- December 8 Upcoming holiday hours are now posted.
- November 30 Due to enhanced public health restrictions occupancy in Cameron Library has been reduced from 152 seats to 67 seats.
- October 15 As of October 19, Cameron hours will be 9am to 6pm, Monday to Friday.
- October 8 Chat Services, Cameron Library, and Curbside Pickup are closed on Monday, October 12 for the Thanksgiving Stat holiday. Questions on Monday? Email us
- September 11 The University Archives will reopen to researchers on Tuesday, September 15. Visit the archives website for hours and more information.
- September 3 Books may be returned at Rutherford Library in Edmonton and Augustana Library in Camrose.
- August 30 Our seat booking system is now live! Book a socially distanced computer or study space in Cameron Library starting September 1st.
- August 29 Cameron Library will be closed Monday, August 31st.
- August 27 Curbside pick-up is now available at Augustana Library
- August 25 Hours at Cameron Library change on Wednesday, August 26, 2020. See more details here.
- August 24 During fall term, the capacity of Cameron Library will increase. Advance booking of a study spot will be required. More info to come.
- July 31 Effective August 1, face masks are now required at all times in all areas of Cameron Library.
- July 27 Cameron Library is closed on Monday, August 3 for the Heritage Day statutory holiday. Chat service is also closed for the holiday weekend from Saturday, August 1 to Monday, August 3.
- July 22 Face masks must be worn as you are moving through common areas of Cameron Library. Masks can be removed once you are seated and maintaining a 2 meter distance from others.
- July 6 Summer term starts and chat is now open on weekends from 11am-6pm from July 6 - August 14
- June 29Computers in Cameron Library will not be available on Friday, July 3rd due to maintenance.
- June 26Cameron Library and our Chat Service will be closed Wednesday, July 1st for Canada Day.
- June 24Computers in Cameron Library will not be available on Friday, June 26th due to maintenance.
- June 21Curbside pick-up is now available at the Rutherford Library. Learn more about curbside pick-up.
- June 16The Library Chat Help service is available Mon-Fri 8am-6pm throughout intersession. Outside of those hours, please email us.
- June 11Masks must be worn walking within Cameron Library and food is temporarily banned.
- June 10We are working hard to provide curb-side pickup of library resources. Coming at the end of June.
- June 8The first floor of Cameron library can now have a maximum of 25 people (formerly 15 people).
- May 27 Improved access to library collections through Hathi Trust Emergency Temporary Access Service
- May 14 Cameron Library and Chat service will be closed Monday, May 18th for Victoria Day.
- May 7 All items you have signed out now have a due date of September 30, 2020.
- April 27 Questions about textbooks and other course materials for Spring 2020 and onward? Visit our Course Materials page.
- April 9 Unwind Your Mind is running online from April 8 to 15.
- April 7 Cameron Library main level will be closed from Thursday, April 9 at 6pm until Tuesday, April 13 at 8am for Easter weekend.
- April 6 Online chat for information & research help available 11am-6pm over the entire Easter weekend, April 10 through 13. Or email us any time.
- March 29 Cameron Library access limited to 15 people on the main level only.
- March 24 Moving out of residence? Take library books with you, to return when we all come back. No fines! If you need to leave library books behind, look for library return bins at your residence, or ask residence staff for help.
- March 19Keep your books - all return slots (drop boxes) are now closed.
- March 18All items you have signed out now have a due date of May 31, 2020.
- March 16All our locations except Cameron Library (north campus) are now closed.
- March 15The library will cancel late fees from March 13 until the situation changes.