How do I Publish OA?
As a Researcher / Author
- Upload copies of your peer-reviewed articles to ERA: Education and Research Archive.
- Email email@example.com for technical and copyright assistance.
- SHERPA/Romeo tells you what journals publish OA, with information on copyright.
- Open access journals are published for most academic disciplines. You can see a list of them at the Directory of Open Access Journals.
- License agreements with the following publishers provide researchers at the University of Alberta with a discount on Article Processing Charges (APC) if you would like to make your paper open access:
- American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) – University of Alberta researchers qualify for a 15% discount on APCs in Science Advances, the OA journal published by AAAS. This is in addition to the 4% discount offered to AAAS members.
- American Chemical Society (ACS) – University of Alberta researchers qualify for a $250 USD discount on APCs in all ACS journals. This is in addition to any personal ACS membership discounts.
- Biochemical Society – APCs are waived for University of Alberta researchers for our five subscribed Biochemical Society journals.
- Canadian Science Publishing (formerly NRC Research Press) – As participants in the CRKN license for Canadian Science Publishing journals, University of Alberta researchers receive a 50% discount on the APC for OA publishing. The reduced fee is $1,500 CAD per article. PLEASE NOTE: This discount does not apply to the OA journal FACETS, which has a reduced regular APC. When submitting your paper, please identify yourself as a University of Alberta member in order to receive the discount.
- Cambridge University Press – University of Alberta researchers qualify for a 20% discount on APCs in all Gold OA and Hybrid OA journals published by Cambridge University Press. The discount is applied when an author submits the article to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service.
- SAGE – University of Alberta researchers receive a 40% discount on the APC charge for OA publishing through the SAGE Choice program. Before you begin, please consult the list of journals with pricing exceptions, and those that are not eligible for this APC discount. Society journals published by SAGE are excluded from this discount, as are open access titles for which SAGE already offers a 50% APC discount for all authors. If your article has been accepted for publication in a subscription journal published by SAGE and you wish to publish under the SAGE Choice program, please email your request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Taylor & Francis – University of Alberta researchers qualify for a 25% discount on APCs in Taylor & Francis Open Select journals. The discount should be automatically applied to any APC fees for these journals when authors submit their acceptance.
- Questions about open access publishing in relation to the library's licensed resources can be directed to librarians in the Collection Strategies Unit: email@example.com.
As a Journal Editor
- We host OA e-journals using the Open Journal Systems software. OJS is a journal management and publishing system that has been developed by the Public Knowledge Project through its federally funded efforts to expand and improve access to research.
- For information about starting a new journal, or moving a journal to our library publishing service please visit https://journals.library.ualberta.ca