Skip to content
How do I Publish OA?
As a Researcher / Author
- Upload copies of your peer-reviewed articles to ERA: Education and Research Archive.
- SHERPA/Romeo tells you what journals publish OA, with information on copyright
- Open access journals are published for most academic disciplines. You can see a list of them at the Directory of Open Access Journals
- License agreements with the following publishers provide researchers at the University of Alberta with a discount on Article Processing Charges (APC) if you would like to make your paper open access:
- Electrochemical Society publications - researchers at the University of Alberta are eligible for Article Credits when publishing in an ECS journal. When you choose Author Choice Open Access, just indicate that you come from a subscribing institution. The fee should be fully covered.
- NRC Research Press (Canadian Science Publishing) - as participants in the CRKN license for NRC journals, University of Alberta researchers receive a 50% discount on the APC charge for OA publishing. The reduced fee is $1500 per article instead of $3000. When submitting your paper, please identify yourself as a University of Alberta member in order to receive the discount.
- Royal Society of Chemistry - University of Alberta researchers can obtain a voucher to cover the full cost of the APC. Please contact Elizabeth Wallace (email@example.com) in the Science & Technology Library if you would like a voucher to cover the costs of making your article OA.
- SAGE - University of Alberta researchers receive a 40% discount on the APC charge for OA publishing. When submitting your paper, please identify yourself as a University of Alberta member in order to receive the discount.
As a Journal Editor
- We host OA e-journals using the Open Journal Systems software. OJS is a journal management and publishing system that has been developed by the Public Knowledge Project through its federally funded efforts to expand and improve access to research. To learn about starting or transferring a journal in OA delivery, contact Acting Digital Repository Services Librarian Amanda Wakaruk