Terms of Reference
Please read all the Terms of Reference carefully before submitting.
- The competition is open to current University of Alberta graduate students. This includes all graduate students from all disciplines (part-time, full-time) in any Master’s or Doctorate program.
- Students who entered the competition in previous years are welcome to reapply. However, a new image, title, and description must be submitted.
- Previous winners, including Honorable Mentions and People’s Choice, are ineligible to reapply, even with a new image.
- Entries will be accepted from Monday, January 23 to Monday, February 13, 2017 via the online submission entry form at the bottom of this page.
- All entries must be received by 5:00 pm on the competition closing date.
- Each entrant may only submit one (1) digital image that represents their research. If the submission represents a collaborative project, please include the name and contact information of the group representative in the entry form. There is space provided to list the collaborators, however, only the group representative will be contacted.
- Supervising faculty do not need to be included as collaborators.
- All images must be the creative work of the entrant(s) or they must have obtained the relevant permissions to submit the image and allow University of Alberta Libraries (UAL) to use the image as stated in the General Terms below. Entrants are responsible for ensuring that no copyright has been infringed and that any necessary release and/or permission forms have been signed.
- Stock images, previously published images, and traditional research posters will not be accepted.
- Images can be in full colour or black and white.
- For examples, see the Past Competitions page or visit the Images of Research of Competition 2016 collection in ERA.
- All submissions must represent University of Alberta affiliated research.
- Submissions must include a title and a short description about the image that portrays how the image is related to the entrant’s research (max. 200 words).
- The description should be clear and in plain language.
- Information on the submission form must be complete and accurate.
- Only high resolution digital images that are photo quality will be accepted.
- Images should be in .jpg file format or .tiff (LZW compression recommended) and 300 dpi (dots per inch).
- Size of the image on the short edge should be a minimum of 24 inches. To determine the size, take the number of pixels and divide by 150 (e.g. 3600 pixels/150 = 24”).
- Do not resample files in Photoshop to increase size or dpi.
- Entries not meeting these specifications may not be accepted.
Judging and Prizes
- Winners and semifinalists will be selected by a multidisciplinary jury according to the following criteria:
- Originality/ Creativity
- Aesthetic appeal of image
- Relationship between image and student’s research
- Clarity of written description and title
- For the People’s Choice award, semifinalist submissions will be part of open online voting. Semifinalists will be selected during the judging period.
- Six prizes will be as follows: 1st - $800, 2nd - $600, 3rd - $500, two Honourable mentions - $250 each, and one People’s Choice - $250.
- For entries with multiple collaborators, only one prize will be awarded. It is up to the entrants to divide the prize accordingly.
- Selection decisions will be final and binding.
- By submitting a digital image, entrants consent that they have read, understood, and accept the following Terms and Conditions of the competition:
- Entrants confirm that they are the original creator/s and/or hold the rights for the uploaded image and that their image has not been previously published.
- Any individuals appearing in the uploaded image have given written permission to be photographed.
- By accepting this agreement, entrants (copyright right owner/s or designate):
- Will retain copyright of their image and attribution will be given.
- Grant to the UAL the non-exclusive rights to reproduce, and/or distribute their submission in print and digital media in an open access environment under the Attribution CC BY license. This license lets others distribute, remix, tweak, and build upon your work, even commercially, as long as they credit you for the original creation. This is the most accommodating of licenses offered. Recommended for maximum dissemination and use of licensed materials. See Creative Commons for more information: https://creativecommons.org/licenses
- Submissions may be reproduced for purposes including contest promotion and scholarly objects archiving in the U of Alberta open access institutional repository (ERA).
For any questions or comments about Images of Research, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.