Terms and Conditions
Please read all the Terms and Conditions carefully before submitting.
- The competition is open to current University of Alberta graduate students. This includes all graduate students from all disciplines, both part-time and full-time, in any Master’s or Doctoral program.
- Students who entered the competition in previous years are welcome to reapply, including semifinalists. However, a new image, title, and description must be submitted.
- Previous winners, including Honorable Mentions and People’s Choice, are ineligible to reapply, even with a new image.
- Entries will be accepted from Monday, January 22 to Friday, February 9, 2018 via the online submissions entry form that will be linked at the bottom of this page during these dates.
- All entries must be received by 5:00pm on the competition closing date.
- Each entrant may submit only one (1) digital image that represents their research. If the submission represents a collaborative project, please include the name and contact information of the group representative in the entry form. There is space provided to list collaborators, however only the group representative will be contacted.
- Supervising faculty do not need to be included as collaborators.
- All original images must be the creative work of the entrant(s) or they must have obtained the relevant permissions to submit the image and allow University of Alberta Libraries (UAL) to use the image as stated in the General Terms below. Entrants are responsible for ensuring that no copyright has been infringed and that any necessary release and/or permission forms have been signed.
- Stock images, previously published or accepted publication images, and traditional research posters will not be accepted.
- Entered images can be in full colour or black and white. For examples, see the Past Competitions page or visit the Images of Research Competition collections of winners and semifinalists in ERA, the University of Alberta’s institutional repository.
- All submissions must represent University of Alberta affiliated research.
- Submissions must include a title and a short description about the image that explains how the image is related to your research (max. 200 words). The description should be clear and in plain language.
- Information on the submission form must be complete and accurate.
- Only high resolution digital images that are photo and print quality will be accepted and can include photographs, images, visualizations, and drawings.
- Images should be in .jpg or .tiff (LZW compression recommended) file format and 300 dpi (dots per inch)
- Size of the image on the short edge should be a minimum of 24 inches. To determine the size, take the number of pixels and divide by 150 (e.g. 3600 pixels/150 = 24”).
- Do not resample files in Photoshop to increase size or dpi.
- Entries not meeting these specifications will not be accepted.
Judging and Prizes
- Winners and semifinalists will be selected by a multidisciplinary jury according to the following criteria:
- Aesthetic appeal of the image
- Relationship between the image and the student’s research
- Clarity of written description and title
- For the People’s Choice Award, all eligible submissions may be part of open online voting. Use of bots or other automated process to vote is prohibited and will result in disqualification.
- Once the judging and People’s Choice voting has been completed, winners and semifinalists will be notified by email.
- Six prizes will be awarded as follows: 1st - $800, 2nd - $600, 3rd - $500, two Honourable mentions - $250 each, and one People’s Choice - $250. Winners will be announced in April 2018.
- For entries with multiple collaborators, only one prize will be awarded. It is up to the entrants to divide the prize accordingly.
- Prizes are subject to taxes. Winning students will be issued with a T4A.
- Winning and semifinalist entries will be printed and exhibited in Cameron Library in April 2018.
- Selection decisions will be final and binding.
- By submitting a digital image, entrants consent that they have read and understood the following Terms and Conditions of the competition:
- Entrants confirm that they are the original creator/s and/or hold the rights for the uploaded image, and that their image has not been previously published nor is currently in press.
- Any individuals appearing in images have given written permission to be photographed.
- By accepting this agreement, entrants (copyright right owner/s or designate):
- Will retain copyright of their image and attribution will be given.
- Grant to the UAL the non-exclusive rights to reproduce, and/or distribute their submission in print and digital media in an open access environment under the Attribution CC BY license. This license lets others distribute, remix, tweak, and build upon your work, even commercially, as long as they credit you for the original creation. This is the most accommodating of licenses offered. Recommended for maximum dissemination and use of licensed materials. See Creative Commons for more information: https://creativecommons.org/licenses
- Submissions may be reproduced for purposes including contest promotion and scholarly objects archiving in the University of Alberta open access institutional repository (ERA).
The University of Alberta Libraries reserves the right to amend or terminate all or any portion of this contest at any time without prior notification.
For any questions or comments about Images of Research, please contact email@example.com.