Services for Persons with Disabilities
Accessing Library Material
The University of Alberta Libraries is committed to providing a positive library experience to patrons with disabilities, in collaboration with Student Accessibility Services (SAS).
- You can request materials to be retrieved for you using the request holds function in the library catalogue or you can Ask Us for help.
- Contact individual libraries, if you have questions about a specific library.
- The University of Alberta Libraries is a member of HathiTrust, which is internationally recognized for its ability to provide access to digital collections for those with sight disabilities. Authentication is required for patrons to access in-copyright materials through screen readers and other means.
- Materials may be borrowed on term loan, subject to recall after two weeks.
- Exceptions: reserve, curriculum and other specialized materials; equipment.
- Please consult the loan period page, for more information.
- To qualify for specialized services (e.g. alternate formats for print materials), please contact Student Accessibility Services at 780-492-3381.
Additional Services for Users with Visual Disabilities
Edmonton Public Library provides a range of special services and adaptive technologies to support people with visual disabilities, including large print books, daisy books, and descriptive video/DVD (video or DVD with added narration). As a public library, they also provide access to The Centre for Equitable Access (CELA), a service that provides reading materials in accessible formats to people with print disabilities.