Library Cards & Borrowing Privileges
UAlberta: Students, Academics & Staff
Type of Material
Fines per item
|UAlberta Books & Periodicals||Term loan:
Oct 1-Jan 31
Feb 1-May 31
Jun 1-Sept 30
After 2 weeks, items are subject to recall. Recalled items are due 7 days from date of email notification.
If recalled, library account will be blocked after 1 day over the recall due date.
|UAlberta Course Materials
||2 hrs (Law: 1 day)||None||$1.00 per hour|
|NEOS Material||2 weeks||4||No Fines|
|ILL Material||4 weeks||Varies||No Fines
At 31 days overdue, the item will be assumed lost and a lost fee of $150.00 will be applied, subject to the lending library's fees policy for lost items.
|Specialized items (video & sound recordings in various formats, gov documents, microform, curriculum)||Varies (check with library)||4||No Fines|
|UAlberta Multimedia Technology Lending (video cameras, cameras, etc.)
- More info on multimedia tech items lent at library service desks
- Dean of Students Office lends chrome books & laptops to students in need
|72 hours||0||$1.00 per hour
Tech lending materials that are assumed lost will initially indicate a lost charge of $150, however higher charges that match the value of the equipment will be applied to lost tech lending items.
|Lost Charge: $150.00/item. Higher Damage or loss charges may be assessed based on cost. Before you pay, please contact us via the Fines Appeal / Account Inquiry form if you have questions about your charges.
Number of items that you can borrow: Unlimited
- If requested by others, your borrowed items will be recalled by the UAlberta Library.
- Check your email for a "Recall Notice" with revised due date.
- You have 7 days to return item(s) to the Library.
Renewal: Items may be renewed if no other user has requested the item. See table above for maximum renewal limits.
Suspension of Borrowing Privileges
UAlberta Library suspends your borrowing privileges when:
- Bills/accruing fines = $50.00 or more
- Items overdue for 31 days or more. Then items marked as lost and a charge of $150.00 applies. Higher loss or damage charges will be assessed on Equipment, such as Laptops & Cameras.
- Recalled material not returned by recall due date.
Fines & Other Charges
- Overdue fines. See rates in above table. Note: to a maximum of $31.00/item.
- Lost Book Charge: $150.00/item. Refund within 365 days of payment date if item found and returned to one of our Service desks.
- Discretionary fine (for breach of regulations, abuse of privileges, etc): $50.00
- NSF Cheque Charge: $25.00
- Rebinding/repair charges for items returned damaged: Charges will vary
How to Avoid Fines:
- Return materials on time
- Check your date due slip or My Account
- Check your @ualberta.ca email for Recall and Due Date notices
- Renew material online at My Account or by calling the library at 780-492-4174
- Plan for out of town stays by returning material that might be recalled before you leave
Fine Appeals: If you feel your fine is not valid, please submit a Fines Appeal Form.
How to Pay Fines and Lost Book Charges:
- Online via My Account (available to current students, staff, and faculty only via CCID login). Payments can be made with Visa, Mastercard, Amex, Union Pay, Visa Debit, Discoverer, and JCB.
- InfoLink: Cash or ONEcard payment can be made in-person at all InfoLink locations. Credit or debit card payment is also available at the InfoLink ONEcard Service Centre (9104 HUB) and Student Life Central (0-81 SUB). Please refer to InfoLink website for hours of operation.
- By Mail: Make cheques payable to UAlberta Library; include your ONEcard Barcode Number or Student ID Number on the back of the cheque. If your cheque does not already include your current address and telephone number, include this information on the cheque as well. Mail cheque to:
Attn: Tannie Wong
University of Alberta Financial Systems & Analysis
5-07N Cameron Library
Edmonton, AB T6G 2J8
- By Phone: For those who do not have a CCID login for online payments, credit card payments can be made by phone by calling the Library Financial Services and Analysis Office at 780-492-6305, Mon-Fri, 8:30-4:00. Payments can be made with Visa, Mastercard, Amex, or Union Pay. Neither Interac nor Visa Debit are possible over the phone. If you leave a voicemail, provide only your name and phone number. Do NOT leave your credit card number on the voicemail. FSA will normally return calls on the same day, except for messages left towards the end of business hours.
Lifting of Encumbrances:
If you have unpaid fines, an encumbrance (block) may be placed on your student record. The encumbrance will cause the following restrictions to apply:
- loss of access to library borrowing and other library services
- loss of access to enrollment records, examination results and academic transcripts
- the inability to graduate until the outstanding debt is cleared
When you pay your fine in full, we will lift the encumbrance on your record.
(Note: It can take up to 90 minutes for the system to register the payment.)
If your encumbrance is not lifted within the expected time, please contact any UAlberta library public service desk.