As a registered Distance Services patron, you can place a request in two ways…
1. Search the Library catalogue
When the item is in our collection, make a request directly from our search results using “Retrieve Catalogue Item/Place Hold” and select “University of Alberta Distance Services” from the drop down pickup library.
2. Place a request using Interlibrary Loan/Document Delivery
Once logged in, complete the blank fields with your reference information.
When logged into ILL, check My Requests for updates on the status of your request. It may take staff some time to locate the item that is needed. Electronic materials can typically be delivered to your inbox within the week. We will mail physical materials to you, once received. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Need help searching? Check out the UofA Library Search Guide
You can also borrow books from your local library anywhere in Canada. The UofA has reciprocal borrowing agreements with other institutions. Check if these apply to your local libraries:
ONEcard - Your ONEcard allows you to obtain books from the UofA Library and NEOS member libraries. You can request books through our catalogues, but you can also borrow them in person with your ONEcard.
TAL card - You can borrow materials from any Alberta library that is a member of The Alberta Library (TAL). To obtain your TAL card, contact Interlibrary Loan via email at email@example.com.
COPPUL card - UofA students, faculty, and staff may borrow materials directly from university and college libraries across Canada, using the COPPUL card. To obtain your COPPUL card, contact Interlibrary Loan via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can also obtain a TAL/COPPUL card at a Service Desk at the UofA Library in-person.
Avoid fines. Return your items on time*
- using the enclosed mailing envelope
- Attach the Canada Post prepaid return label that was included in delivery
- bringing materials into any University of Alberta library
If you run out of packaging and labels, please contact email@example.com
*To avoid fines, return items prior to the due date, leaving enough time for us to receive the item prior to it being due (3-4 days).
Books held by the UofA Library:
- Term loan (Loans will be up to Jan. 31, May 30, or Sept. 30, and must be received by the library by the due date).
There is a maximum 4 renewals for UofA books as long as there are no requests (holds)
Books held by other NEOS libraries:
- 3 weeks for all borrowers (includes delivery time to you and back to Library)
Note: the UofA Library must first obtain these materials from the owning library before sending them on to you, which will take up to 5 working days. There is a maximum of two 2-week renewals for NEOS books as long as there are no requests (holds).
Books through Interlibrary Loan (green band):
- Check the green band on the book.
- If it says "Renewable: Yes", you may contact Interlibrary Loan for a renewal.
- Interlibrary loan books may be renewed once only for all borrowers.
- Interlibrary loan books are NOT renewable through My Account, contact Interlibrary Loan via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Renew & return materials on time
- Check My Account for due dates
- Check your @ualberta.ca email for Due Date notices